Donald Trump has once again done a complete reversal on policy. This time the flip-flop is on immigration. But if you’re trying to pin down exactly what his immigration policy is now, good luck. Because the truth is….it depends on the day and the audience.
If Donald Trump is consistent about one thing…..it’s being inconsistent.
There is virtually no issue that Trump hasn’t flip-flopped on, and usually his positions have flipped, flopped, and flipped again. But the one issue that he has been adamant about for over a year now is immigration.
He won the Republican primary in large part due to his strong speech about immigration. The two things that he has been repeating for months are that he would build a wall that Mexico will pay for and that he would mass deport 11 million undocumented immigrants. Well until now, that is.
Why his supporters ever believed either of those plans is beyond me. The truth is that neither of them will ever happen, even if (God forbid) he were to win the Presidency.
Trump has been full of shit his entire campaign. His pattern is clear. He says whatever he thinks people want to hear at that time. After he made the last reversal on immigration in March he said, “You have to have a certain degree of flexibility.” And by “flexibility” he means repeatedly lying about where he stands on just about everything. Your guess is as good as mine how he’d actually govern.
So before you start thinking that Trump has finally clarified his immigration policy, give it a week. It’s like the weather in Florida….give it a minute….and everything will change.
And if you want proof of that just take a look at the lists below….showing how many different stances he’s taken on this one subject.
TRUMP’S IMMIGRATION POLICY
- Build a wall paid for by Mexico, and use a deportation task force to mass deport 11-13 million undocumented immigrants.
- Mass deport all undocumented immigrants, and then allow only the “good ones” to come back in.
- Maybe Dreamers can stay.
- Nope. All Dreamers have to get out.
- Obama’s immigration policy will be reversed, and his executive orders on immigration will be rescinded.
- Trump is actually “flexible” about mass deporting 11-13 million undocumented immigrants.
- Use a deportation force to mass deport all undocumented immigrants….just don’t call it mass deportation.
- Stop using the words “deportation task force” because the use of a task force is now “to be determined.“
- Continue President Obama’s immigration policy, but “with a lot more energy.”
- Be “humane” and maybe or maybe not deport all undocumented immigrants. Deport criminals. Never say “mass deportations.”
- “A total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States.“
- Ban most Muslims but allow Trump’s Muslim friends and Muslim members of the military to enter the country.
- Just kidding. The whole Muslim ban thing was just a little suggestion.
- Just ban the Muslims who come from countries with a history of terrorism.
- The original Muslim ban was never about Muslims.
- Just kidding. The Muslim ban is actually negotiable.
- Use “extreme vetting” for the ban.
- The original ban is on….just don’t use the word “Muslim” anymore.
- “Extreme vetting” will include an ideological test.
- Ban the Muslims, but also ban people who come from places with history of terrorism. But whatever you do don’t say “Muslim.”
Refugees and Border Control
- We have a “humanitarian” obligation to take in Syrian refugees.
- We can’t and shouldn’t accept Syrian refugees.
- Shut down the border.
- “I didn’t say shut it down — I said you have to be very careful, you have to be careful on who’s coming into our country,”
- Don’t close the borders and don’t accept any Syrian refugees.
Featured image by www.theodysseyonline.com