It’s easy to point out that Donald Trump is dangerous and ill-equipped to be President. But the truth is, for many Progressives, there need to be more concrete reasons to vote FOR Hillary. Well, it turns out there are several….
Unfortunately this election has been primarily about personalities and gaffes rather than substance and policy. Both candidates have high disapproval ratings, and the media has been solely focused on the stupid day to day controversies. But these two distrusted candidates actually do have real policies and plans that will affect this country into the future.
I’m not going to try to convince you to like Hillary. If you don’t like her, you don’t like her. But this election is bigger than Hillary or Trump personally. If you want to make an intelligent and informed choice, you really must look at the issues and ideas.
The Nation, who has been very critical of Hillary, and who earlier endorsed Bernie Sanders, put it plainly. “A Trump presidency would be a catastrophe, whereas a big win by Clinton creates an opening for change.” They continued,
“The Nation endorses Hillary Clinton for president and believes that a substantial victory by her in November is essential to advance the progressive issues we have long championed. We supported Senator Bernie Sanders in the Democratic primary, and we remain concerned about Clinton’s approach to politics and governing. But Clinton isn’t running against Sanders anymore.”
The fact of the matter is that either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump is going to be our next President. So, while we examine the case for Hillary, I feel it is also important to keep the alternative in mind. I understand that many Progressives might be hesitant to vote for Hillary, but another fact is that the only chance a Progressive agenda or real positive change in this country has right now is Hillary Clinton.
The Democratic platform this cycle is the most Progressive platform we have ever had. But none of that will matter if the Republicans retain control of Congress and win the White House. Right now she is the only one who will advance important Liberal causes.
According to leading economists in a variety of fields, Hillary’s economic plan is far better than Trump’s. Over 400 economy experts in a recent survey voted for Clinton’s plan by huge margins….55% to only 14% in favor of Trump.
Hillary plans to
- increase the minimum wage
- provide paid family leave
- make the rich pay their fair share and make the tax code more accommodating to the middle class and poor
- expand Social Security
- spend $275 billion to rebuild American roads and bridges…her plan will create 10 million new jobs
- boost education and lower the cost of childcare with preschool for every 4-year-old in America
- provide debt-free college
- address campaign finance reform
Two groups of experts looked at her proposals and examined the way she plans to pay for them. And both the Tax Foundation and the Tax Policy Center found that Hillary’s tax plan would actually create a revenue surplus.
Trump’s plan is more trickle-down economics that favors corporations and the very rich. His plan would also increase the national debt by $5.9 trillion over the next ten years.
- reform our broken immigration system with a pathway to full and equal citizenship
- end 3 and 10 year bars which break up families and force people to hide in the shadows
- end family detention and close private immigration detention centers
- expand access to affordable health care to all families
- promote naturalization
- put $15 million into new grant funding for immigrant integration
On the other hand, Trump wants to build a big wall…which Mexico will never pay for, use a deportation task force to deport 11 million immigrants, and ban Muslims from entry into the U.S. based on an ideological test.
Now I realize that Hillary is a bit hawkish for a lot of Progressives, but she is a far cry from starting international trade wars,or Trump’s other stated positions of helping more countries get nukes, a willingness to use nukes himself, torture, killing of women and children, and disbanding of NATO.
- make us stronger at home by improving the economy and infrastructure
- stick with our allies
- prevent Iran from getting nuclear weapons
- build stronger ties between Cuba and America
- stand up to Vladimir Putin
- hold China accountable
- have a real plan for confronting terrorists and defeating ISIS
- take care of our veterans and their families
- invest in innovation and capabilities that will allow our military to prepare for and fight 21st-century threats
“I believe weapons of war have no place on our streets. We may have our disagreements on gun safety regulations, but we should all be able to agree on a few things. If the FBI is watching you for suspected terrorist links, you shouldn’t be able to just go buy a gun with no questions asked. You shouldn’t be able to exploit loopholes and evade criminal background checks by buying online or at a gun show. And yes, if you’re too dangerous to get on a plane, you are too dangerous to buy a gun in America.”
- expand background checks
- stand up to the gun lobby
- keep guns out of the hands of domestic abusers, other violent criminals, and the severely mentally ill
As for Trump, he wants NO regulations on firearms at all. He is little more than a puppet for the NRA.
Hillary believes that Obamacare was a good first step in fixing our broken for-profit health care system. But she also plans to build upon and improve it.
- bring down out-of-pocket costs like copays and deductibles
- reduce the cost of prescription drugs
- fight for health insurance for the lowest-income Americans in every state by incentivizing states to expand Medicaid
- defend access to reproductive health care
- double funding for community health centers and support the healthcare workforce
- create a bridge to universal health care
Trump, on the other hand, wants to put health care back in the hands of corrupt insurance companies and big banks. He vows to repeal Obamacare and replace it with….who knows. And the hopes for single-payer would be destroyed.
This one’s simple. Hillary believes in climate science and has a plan to address it. She wants to make America the clean energy capital of the world. Trump thinks climate change is a hoax created by the Chinese.
Hillary’s plan includes
- defending, implementing, and extending smart pollution and efficiency standards
- launching a $60 billion Clean Energy Challenge
- investing in clean energy infrastructure, innovation, manufacturing and workforce development
- cutting the billions of wasteful tax subsidies oil and gas companies
- revitalize coal communities
- supports gay marriage
- supports Planned Parenthood
- supports a woman’s right to choose
- believes in freedom of religion
- wants criminal justice reform and will address bias in policing
- will address systemic racism and bigotry
- will defend the rights of the disabled
- wants improved treatment, prevention, and training to deal with the epidemic of substance abuse
- wants debt-free college and universal preschool for every 4-year-old
- has a plan to address mental health
- will raise the standards for public schools
- believes in equal rights for the LGBT community, women, African Americans, Muslims, and all Americans
- will seat a Liberal Supreme Court
- will push to overturn Citizens United
As for Trump….everything I’ve listed above, he’s against.
To put it plainly, Hillary is the most qualified candidate to ever run for President. She is intelligent, knowledgeable, informed, battle tested, strong, and she’s a policy wonk. She actually cares about the details and she has the steady temperament needed to lead this country.
For me this is an easy decision…. especially when the alternative is Donald Trump. But I understand that for others it may not be quite as simple. Is Hillary an ideal candidate? No. Are there things about her that I wish I could change? Of course. But do I think she will still make a great President? Yes I do.