Twitter is Ground Zero for the Resistance with activists, entertainers, journalists, legal experts, politicians, and every day people like you and me pushing back against the Trump regime.
Barack Obama successfully leveraged his Twitter account sending his first tweet from his verified @POTUS account on May 18, 2015, “which had more than 217,000 followers in its first 45 minutes,” according to a report by Reuters.
However, Trump seems to have taken it to the next level – attempting to govern through Twitter. CNN‘s Van Jones predicted the rise of Trump’s use of the platform in an October 2015 article, stating:
FDR was the first “radio” president. JFK emerged as the first “television” president. Barack Obama broke through as the first “Internet” president. Next up? Prepare to meet Donald Trump, possibly the first “social media” and “reality TV” president.
Sadly, that prediction became true and in May 2017, The Washington Post reported that Twitter co-founder Evan Williams apologized for the company’s possible role in getting Trump elected.
“I thought once everybody could speak freely and exchange information and ideas, the world is automatically going to be a better place,” Williams told The Times. “I was wrong about that.”
There Is Hope
However, there is hope in the form of an active anti-Trump resistance movement that has emerged in response to his administration and his tweets going back to the beginning of his administration.
12 Must-Follow Twitter Accounts If You Are Part Of The Anti-Trump Resistance
Legal Experts and Scholars
Seth Abramson (@SethAbramson) – Former criminal investigator and defense attorney, New York Times best-selling author of “Proof of Collusion,” Abramson needs no introduction if you have been paying attention on Twitter.
THREAD/ Here are the 50 MOST IMPORTANT EVENTS in the Trump-Russia timeline, RANKED. If you ignored the Trump-Russia case in 2017 and 2018, you'll find that impossible to do in 2019—as America plunges further into crisis. Please read and RETWEET this condensed Trump-Russia primer. pic.twitter.com/iWxH0Cx4Qo
— Seth Abramson (@SethAbramson) December 30, 2018
Laurence Tribe (@tribelaw) – A professor of constitutional law at Harvard Law School and the Carl M. Loeb University Professor at Harvard University, Tribe, his official bio at Harvard University is sure to impress.
Exactly, @MalcolmNance. Good for you for pulling no punches. Trump aids, abets, and enables the needless deaths of innocent children. And does so without pity or responsibility, blaming anyone but himself. Donald Redrum Trump. Pathetic excuse for a human being. https://t.co/jRMEYl9cKp
— Laurence Tribe (@tribelaw) December 29, 2018
Richard Painter (@RWPUSA) – A law professor and former chief White House ethics lawyer for George W. Bush, Painter is a harsh critic of the Trump regime.
In @realDonaldTrump we have a president,
whose language and vulgar personal attacks belong in the gutter,
whose political program belongs in a dictatorship (where he wants to be), and
whose economic program belongs in bankruptcy court (where he’s been many times before). Pathetic
— Richard W. Painter (@RWPUSA) January 5, 2019
Preet Bharara (@PreetBharara) – A former federal prosecutor for the Southern District of New York, Preet Bharara likes to take on not only Trump, but also his supporters/defenders, such as conservative radio talk show host and frequent Fox News contributor Hugh Hewitt.
So what? Trump is asking Americans to spend $5 billion on a wall he said Mexico would pay for and has proudly owned shutting down government over it. Simple stuff indeed. https://t.co/pyQDATGrWb
— Preet Bharara (@PreetBharara) January 4, 2019
Ted Lieu (@tedlieu) – An Air Force veteran, currently holding the rank of Colonel in the reserves, and former California State Senator, Lieu has been serving as the U.S. Representative for California’s 33rd congressional district since 2015.
— Ted Lieu (@tedlieu) January 5, 2019
Adam Schiff (@RepAdamSchiff) Democratic Representative from California, and Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, Adam Schiff will be front and center in the 116th Congress taking over from Trump ally and co-conspirator Devin Nunes (R-CA).
Here's what we did on our first day:
✓ Voted to reopen the government.
✓ Swore in most diverse Congress ever.
Here's what we're doing next:
✓ Protecting healthcare.
✓ Fighting climate change.
✓ Holding Trump accountable.
✓ Tackling corruption.
— Adam Schiff (@RepAdamSchiff) January 4, 2019
Journalists / Activists
Just this morning Trump The Sociopath intentionally misspelled Barack’s name, made up fake stats about his racist wall, lied about the wall paying for itself, talked about his own impeachment & praised a Middle-Eastern dictator. This is why #ImpeachTheMF trended internationally.
— Scott Dworkin (@funder) January 6, 2019
David Corn (@DavidCornDC) – D.C. bureau chief of Mother Jones, MSNBC analyst, & author of the recently released “Russian Roulette,” David Corn is a must-follow member of the resistance.
Actually, you were cited in a *criminal* campaign finance case as directing a fixer/lawyer to cover up an illegal hush-money payment. Ask your new lawyers to explain the difference. https://t.co/Dfvfy3iY51
— David Corn (@DavidCornDC) January 5, 2019
Kurt Eichenwald (@kurteichenwald) – New York Times best-selling author, senior writer at Newsweek, and a contributing editor at Vanity Fair, Eichenwald’s official bio notes that: “Eichenwald spent two decades as a senior writer at The New York Times, where he was a two-time finalist for the Pulitzer Prize. He is also a two-time winner of the George Polk Award, as well as the winner of the Payne Award for Ethics in Journalism and an Emmy Award nominee.”
It is almost beyond comprehension that we have a president who does not understand the difference between revenue of private industry and government expenditures. No, Mr. President – trade among companies will not pay for the wall. This is the dumbest man to ever be president.
— Kurt Eichenwald (@kurteichenwald) January 4, 2019
Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) – The force is strong in this heavy-weight Hollywood legend who needs no introduction.
Not a word of regret or sympathy, just blame. Sickening. People complaining about my political tweets need to understand: I love my country & feel it's my patriotic duty to oppose this demented sociopath with every fibre of my being. #TrumpResignNOW https://t.co/TVHP09tSPA
— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) December 29, 2018
Alyssa Milano (@Alyssa_Milano) Everyone should know Alyssa Milano who is out there every day in the trenches pushing back against the Trump regime online and through boot-on-the-ground activism.
“Alyssa Milano Vows to 'Uncover the Disturbing Pattern of Abuse of Immigrant Children' in Arizona” (article below)
Well, I will be uncovering what I found in the FOIA on Monday.
It’s bonecrushing. https://t.co/XAbhzytDn0
— Alyssa Milano (@Alyssa_Milano) January 5, 2019
Ron Perlman (@perlmutations) – This Hellboy isn’t giving Trump any slack, taking to his Twitter account multiple times a day some days to call out the bigoted-billionaire.
I used to like Rashida Tlaib. Now I fuckin love the muthafucka! https://t.co/dXgep7G2HO
— Ron Perlman (@perlmutations) January 5, 2019
- Aunt Crabbie calls Bullshit (@DearAuntCrabby) – Aunt Crabbie is another Twitter superstar who is out there every day offering inspiring commentary.
- CREW: Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics In Washington (@CREWcrew) – The name says it all.
- Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) – An Emmy-nominated producer, writer and editor, Griffin currently works as a segment producer for MSNBC’s “The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell.”
- Brian Krassenstein (@krassenstein) – Educated at Rutgers University, Krassenstein is the co-founder of Forum Advertising LLC, a Twitter personality, writer, and editor.
- Ed Krassenstein (@EdKrassen) – Brother to Brian Krassenstein, Ed is the co-founder of Hill Reporter (@HillReporter), and author of “How the People Trumped Ronald Plump.”
- McSpocky (@mcspocky) – Boasting over 200K followers, McSpocky is listed as Top 1% Twitter Influencer in the Liberal Community.
- Renato Mariotti (@renato_mariotti) – Former federal prosecutor, CNN legal analyst, host of
- Robert Reich (@RBReich) – Reich is currently the Chancellor’s Professor of Public Policy at the Goldman School of Public Policy at the University of California, Berkeley, an author, political economist, professor, and political commentator who served in the administrations of three presidents, including serving as Clinton’sand was Secretary of Labor from 1993 to 1997.
- Rob Reiner (@robreiner) – An actor, filmmaker, and activist, Rob Reiner is an outspoken Trump critic.
- Tea Pain (@TeaPainUSA) – With over 400K followers, Tea Pain is another important Twitter influencer who describes himself as a: “Faithful Foot Soldier of the
#Resistance.” We agree.
- The Democratic Coalition (@TheDemCoalition) – Founded in Spring 2016 with the “main goal” preventing Trump’s election, their official website notes that: “The organization now exists to hold the Trump White House accountable, and is directly countering Donald Trump, along with Republican elected officials and candidates who support him, through aggressive digital and traditional advertising, grassroots action, in-depth opposition research, and a nationwide rapid-response team.“